No need to be humble….

p1010040.jpg

Best in Show – Morris Graves Museum/Humboldt Arts Council Member Show 2007
(the following is the artist statement that hung with the quilt at the local quilt show.  The statement does not hang at the Morris Graves)
Cabrini-Green Public Housing

Wikipedia: “Cabrini-Green in a public housing project in Chicago’s North Side. At its height, Cabrini Green was home to 20,000 people, living in mid and high rise apartment buildings. Over the years gang violence and neglect created terrible conditions for the residents and the name “Cabrini-Green” became symbolic of problems associated with public housing in the United States. Currently 5,000 residents remain in Cabrini-Green.”

My son rides past what remains of Cabrini-Green on his way to work in Chicago. Most of the original housing projects have been torn down and are being replaced by newer buildings. This 15-story high rise is one of the last remaining buildings. The structure is scarred with fire damage, there are burned out apartments, and a majority of the windows are boarded up or covered in newspaper. My son was impressed with how much this building reminded him of a quilt. There are one hundred and sixty-five identical rectangular window units; all the same and all very different. Many people still call this home, and to continue the quilt analogy, the residents find warmth and security in this soon to be demolished building.

Clay told me last night: “No need to be humble Mom, you’re not that good.” (something that Stu Peck once told Clay)

(This means that I can toot my own horn for a while)

11 Responses to “No need to be humble….”
  1. Mel 6 January 2008 at 6:25 pm #

Congratulations! Toot away!

2. Mary Ann Littlejohn 6 January 2008 at 8:41 pm #

Toot away! It would be appropriate for you to tell us on this page why you are tooting your horn. Let everybody know.

I love the simplicity of your quilt. Congratulations.

3. Adam Parker Smith 7 January 2008 at 7:38 am #

Stu was a total jerk and I disagree with Clay….you are that good!…give me a break…who are we kidding! This is deserving of its award.

4. Donna 7 January 2008 at 7:48 am #

Mary Ann- “Best of Show” at the Morris Graves Museum/Humboldt Arts Council Member Show.
    Adam – you misunderstood. Clay thinks I’m “good”…..it was his way of saying that I had every right to toot my own horn, because without a paid press agent one needs to do a little personal bragging.

5. Clay Parker Jones 7 January 2008 at 10:38 am #

Yeah, just to clarify… I was talking to my mom about how humble she was being, and that she should be overjoyed for the award.

It’s a funny saying that stuck in my head, because sometimes we all can be a little too humble about our great achievements.

By the way, I think this story–aunt and nephew being so great in the fiber arts–deserves some publicity… I imagine this sort of confluence doesn’t happen every day.

6. Ann 7 January 2008 at 11:53 am #

Congradulations! Your son was right about one thing, the housing project did make a GREAT quilt when done by you.
    Be proud! ann

7. Adam Parker Smith 7 January 2008 at 9:12 pm #

maybe we should think about getting a joint press agent.

8. Donna 8 January 2008 at 7:50 am #

I thinking there is someone in the family that would help us on the cheap.

9. Adam Parker Smith 8 January 2008 at 8:14 am #

bryce?

10. Clay Parker Jones 8 January 2008 at 6:02 pm #

alright, guys, if you want it, i’m here. for free! if you’re cool with it, I can pitch whatever story to whoever. just let me know what you’re all comfy with.

11. Donna 8 January 2008 at 6:49 pm #

You still owe me for the repair of your pants. Maybe we can do a trade.