Hitchhiker Splint :=(

The hospital techs refer to this as a “hitchhiker splint”.  In our four hours in the ER Monday night when we heard this term bantered about we invisioned one of those metal finger braces wrapped in a simple bandage.  But no.  A bad cut and a broken thumb is considered quite serious and deserves the full-monty of a wrap.   And for those readers who haven’t heard of Uncle Durry’s wood-working accident, this is the result.  He was cutting some beautiful maple for a new end table, and a two-by-two piece of wood kicked back, and the force of it cut his thumb open, nicked a tendon and broke the bone.  Ouch.  We get to go see someone today to have it checked, so I can then get a good gory picture.         It’s always a small world out in Arcata.  Durry’s Physician’s Assistant, of course know’s the Parker’s.  I was making conversation with her while she was sewing up the thumb and we somehow started talking about Life Cycle.  And when I started mentioning names….Lynn, Vince Dave…….the first word out of her mouth was: Hillary.   Apparently, the P.A., Celine knows the Parker’s because she works with a mid-wife that was a neighbor on Lincoln Street.  Celine did ask if any of us drink Odwalla juice.

6 Responses to “Hitchhiker Splint :=(”
  1. Clay Parker Jones 19 November 2008 at 12:51 pm #

Wow. Terrible.

And yet, he still typed a response to my blog.

2. Hillary 19 November 2008 at 4:15 pm #

Hope the healing goes well!

It’s a small world out there.

It’s amazing that random people remember my incident.

3. aunt mel 20 November 2008 at 10:20 am #

Clay, I suggested he hold a stick in his mouth to type on the keyboard. Can’t wait to see the “unwrapped” picture!

4. Donna Parker 20 November 2008 at 10:54 am #

He’s at the orthopedic now, and he has the camera. I know I should have gone as the photographer and his health advocate, but HEY….gotta work:) I did take some gory shots at the hospital with my cell phone, and I am trying to figure out how to get them out of the phone. I guess its as simple as sending them to myself. Or Clay…can I somehow upload them straight from the phone?

5. Donna Parker 20 November 2008 at 10:55 am #

Clay — your little picture up there beside your comment? How do I get one? I’ve looked at my today in profile and I can’t see a place to do that.

6. Clay Parker Jones 20 November 2008 at 2:02 pm #

Mom… gotta go to gravatar.com and sign up with the email address you use most. Then it will show up.

Anyone can/should do this, too!