Haiti Earthquake Relief

Over this past weekend I started knitting some hats experimenting with a new pattern.  With each hat I imagined sending one  to Adam, Nathan, and Bryce….all cold-country cousins.  But this morning as I was watching reports about the earthquake in Haiti, and realizing how lucky we were this past weekend when we rocked and rolled through a 6.5 quake, I decided to put the hats to better use.  Sorry boys.  I have taken the hats down to Fabric Temptations (where I work) and put a thirty dollar price tag on each of them.  ALL proceeds will be sent to the American Red Cross’s effort in Haiti.  I know that the American Red Cross would had our backs  if we had suffered such devastation in our quake.  And, it didn’t take but a second for my boss and store owner to offer to match any dollars raised.  Thanks Lennie.

002

8 Responses to “Haiti Earthquake Relief”
  1. laura 13 January 2010 at 7:23 pm #

Beautiful! – and a very generous and thoughtful idea! Are the hats beanie or beret-like? What kind of yarn did you use? I made a beanie from a Finnish pattern found online, that Bryce ended up taking home with him – guess he does win the prize for coldest weather! Am working on another one from same pattern – was planning to give them to each of the Bozeman roomies, but who knows, I like your idea!

2. bryce 13 January 2010 at 9:18 pm #

I would have had your back as well

3. Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] 13 January 2010 at 10:32 pm #

Great idea, Aunt Donna. BJ, Adam & Na can wait for their hats; they’re are definitely more people in need.

4. donna 14 January 2010 at 8:13 am #

That’s so sweet Bryce. Thank you. I thought of you yesterday when I heard about Public Health officials going down to Haiti, and how important and vital it is to have more people in that line of work. Your major choice is an important one.

5. donna 14 January 2010 at 8:23 am #

Laura — This hat pattern is called “Turn a Square”… by a Brooklyn designer, Jared Flood.
    It’s a pretty basic beanie, but the decrease rows make a nice “square” at the top.
    I was using up some yarn (Boku) and then some hand dyed Merino….I had plenty for each hat(less then 50 gram balls of worsted weight).
    It’ll be nice if when I go to work today I find that some generous people have bought the hats!

6. mel 14 January 2010 at 11:55 am #

nice idea Donna…nice boss too!

7. donna 14 January 2010 at 6:10 pm #

AND…one very nice woman bought the darker hat for her husband today. What a treat. And again, thank you Lennie for the matching donation. $60 now going to Haiti.

8. donna 16 January 2010 at 8:38 am #

All the hats are sold….to some really nice people. Thanks….and $180 will go to the American Red Cross Haiti relief effort.