Cornelius Family

During my trip to Texas (see below), Mom and Mel and I spent several days going through old photos.  Most were from Mom’s high school, college and early married years.  There were pictures of my parents being goofy.  There were pictures of family and friends we didn’t know.  There were pictures of places we couldn’t identify.  But among the hundreds of pictures there were some jewels.  My grand dad in his baseball uniform and even a team photo, Clyde’s family, an early picture of my dad’s brothers (I’ll share all those later).  But the best was a family photo of the Cornelius family.

I know we haven’t reached the Corneliuses in our genealogical review but I’m going to insert this anyway because it’s a remarkable photograph.  If you’ve been following the Watts story (again, you can find this in earlier posts…see the sidebar), Paul Watts married Luteen Pearson.  Luteen’s parents were Thomas Pearson and Lizzie Cornelius.  Lizzie’s parents were Enoch Cornelius and Matilda Murphree.  All of those folks are in this picture.

First, here’s a key that Donna made to identify who’s in the picture:

Cornelius keyHere’s who we think we know:  1) Mary Virginia Watts, 5) Thomas Gerald, 6) Paul Leon (Buzzie),(8) Enoch Cornelius, 9) Matilda Murphree Cornelius, 10) Edna Neace Cornelius, 12) Vandiver Cornelius, 15) Alan Hodges, 16) Evelyn Pearson, 17) Lizzie Cornelius, 18) Joel Cornelius, 19) Henry Cornelius, 20) Angie Cotter Cornelius, 26) Luteen Pearson Watts, 27) Bunnie, 28) Paul Watts.

So this would be our Great great grand father and his family, taken in 1922 at their place outside Hobart, Oklahoma.  I don’t think Kiowa County has changed all that much in the interim.

Corneilus Family circa 1922

This is a pretty typical family portrait of the era.  The patriarch (or matriarch) is seated in the middle.  The eldest son is seated with his family in the same row as the father (or mother).  The other children are arranged around the father.  Enoch’s other kids are directly behind him.  Vandiver’s kids would be directly behind him.  And our grandparents and mom are off to the side.  I think those behind Vandiver (21-25) are Ramona and her husband Robert McElroy (not sure of the kid) and Bernice and her husband Donald Clark.

Here’s how we dated the photo…Mom was born in 1921, Edna (Vandiver’s wife) dies sometime in ’22, and Lizzie has Alan in ’23.  As a note, Matilda dies in ’25, 81 years old…and Enoch dies in ’27, also at 81.

Let me know in the comments if you have guesses about the others in the photo or a different idea about date or ones I’ve identified.

11 Responses to “Cornelius Family”
  1. Mel 30 March 2010 at 6:53 am #

Had lots of fun doing the picture sorting!

2. kevin watts 31 March 2010 at 1:42 pm #

Good dating work. I have a picture taken same day, same clothing from May, 1922. Thanks for posting this gem.

3. kevin watts 31 March 2010 at 1:45 pm #

Very likely Mothers Day

4. Barbara 31 March 2010 at 6:08 pm #

Absolutely wonderful!!! thank you for the hours spent in research. Love it. Cousin Barbara

5. kevin 2 April 2010 at 3:32 pm #

Alan Hodges, the father of Luteen”s brother Allen ?

6. durry 2 April 2010 at 4:26 pm #

Alfred Allen Hodges. Sorry about the spelling in the post. This is Allen’s dad. The only picture I’ve seen of him. Bunny says she’d know him anywhere and that’s definitely him. Son wasn’t born for about another year or so.

7. Allen Hodges 3 April 2010 at 9:37 am #

Allen and I (Durry) talked after his comments disappeared so I’m writing under his name. My ID’s are incorrect for some and I defer to his remembrances since he was born about a year after this picture was taken.

In front of his dad is Evelyn (#14) and next to her is Ursula (#16). Kneeling next to Enoch is Eldo (#7). In the same row with Enoch and Matilda is Bernice and Don Clark (#s 10 & 12). His back row has Vandiver and Edna at #s 19 and 20, Robert and Ramona (Cornelius) McElroy at #s 21 and 22 and Angie (Cotter) and Henry Cornelius 24 and 25. Still not sure about the front row 2, 3 and 4 but 1, 5 and 6 are probably Mary Virginia, Thomas Gerald and Paul Leon.

Still not entirely sure about this. Your guesses would be greatly appreciated.

8. Allen Hodges 3 April 2010 at 1:50 pm #

Durry I happened to remember Vandiver had two boys and 4 girls the 2 girls and the boy infront would be his the boy would be Wellman Cornelius one of the girls is Marjie The littlest one was adopted out after Edna died I met her once but cant remember her name the other boy of Vanders isn’t in the picture his name is Luther

9. k watts 3 May 2010 at 2:45 am #

That is correct on 1,5,6 based on a different pic I have from the same day of the Watts only .

10. sharon bailey 19 December 2011 at 9:55 am #

Is the baby Nelda? If this is the case Edna was gone. I think Standing next to vandiver is margie. Aunt Monie and Uncle Bill is there also. Moma and daddy are 24 and 25. don and Bernice clark. one of the girls is aunt emma

11. Ann Watts 17 September 2012 at 11:41 am #

About the picture above.How are you a direct decendant to John and Susannah? Like to put it in my family tree?