Trailer for sale or rent…………..

It appears that we have firmed up our “retirement” travel plans and on  July 1 we will be taking off on an adventure.   I honestly never thought that I would say this, but I am pretty excited that we are now the proud owners of a small-ish trailer, and very soon we will have a new rig to pull it.

We’ve camped a bunch over the years in a large, and now ancient tent.  This old tent has been lots of places…swim meets, family reunions, the Rocky Mountains, Maine, Kentucky, Oklahoma, a wind storm at the end of Hurricane Hugo…….I could go on, but the list of locations in this tent’s life is endless.

Anyway….as grown-ups who are old enough to collect Social Security, we did decide to leave the cumbersome tent behind, and for a good week we had plans to get a new small tent, and a snazzy Suburu Outback that we could camp in when there were wind and rain emergencies.  I got very cold one Sunday morning on a bike ride and came home an announced to Durry that perhaps we did need to get a small trailer.

Some friends in town own an adorable T@b trailer.  I was enamored, but we knew that it was more of a glorified tent-on-wheels, and we needed a little more space for our planned extended adventure.  We drove down to Santa Rosa for a long weekend to look at the larger TaDa trailer, but left the sales  lot just a little discouraged because the bed was too short and Durry’s head brushed the ceiling.

We did our research though, and looked at LOTS of travel trailers.  We had a good chuckle inside this two story travel trailer……we knew that our son would love to spend some weekends with us with his own private screened in trailer porch.   We left Santa Rosa not really finding the “right” vehicle for us.

As it turns out, we shopped “locally”, and found something that we THINK will suit us just fine.

This is a 25 foot, ultra light trailer with a tiny pop-out to accommodate a small sofa.   Our “bedroom” is at the front of the trailer, and is separated nicely from the rest of the living area.   There is room for our laptops, my knitting and quilting, and all of Durry’s genealogy research materials.     The kitchen will  have plenty of room for us to cook all the wonderful farm fresh local foods as we travel across the country.

Coincidentally,  thirty years ago after our wedding on the 4th of July we took off on our first adventure together.  We left the San Francisco Bay area in my red Toyota hatchback for our rented farm house in Northern Michigan.    It took  five days to get ourselves 2/3 ‘s of the way across the country.

We’re going to take more time this time around.

11 Responses to “Trailer for sale or rent…………..”
  1. allison 12 May 2010 at 1:24 pm #

OMG! It’s really real and really happening! I’m so excited for you!

2. Barbara 12 May 2010 at 8:28 pm #

Brings back memories. It is in your genes Durry; like you mom…head for the open road. I remember as a child the times you all would pull up with the silver trailer. My mom could not understand, but I thought it was awesome. i know you will have a grand time and must say I am envious… so enjoy the travels, the stops, and all the fun along the way!

3. durry 12 May 2010 at 9:11 pm #

I hadn’t thought about it quite like that…but it really does go back to our childhood. Somehow I knew that I would get back on the road when I had the chance. Watch out, Barbara…one of these days we’ll be pulling up in front of your house.

4. Laura 16 May 2010 at 8:26 pm #

I too am so excited for you, and admittedly a bit envious……happy trails!

5. Melodie 2 June 2010 at 5:21 pm #

Very excited for you guys! You’re going to have a great time..we’ll have to coordinate a “stop” where I can meet you to do some research stuff. I’ve said on the last few trips that I thought Donna should come along. If Mom doesn’t get rid of the pop-up, maybe we can camp next door to each other!

6. donna 2 June 2010 at 6:26 pm #

Mel – talk to the trip planner. It would be nice to have you two as neighbors:)

7. Rosalie Capps 17 June 2010 at 10:39 am #

Have a great time this summer traveling around in your trailer. It will be fun to follow your adventures.

8. kevin 22 June 2010 at 3:24 am #

Happy trails! Stop by if your in the neighborhood. We have fresh fruits and vegetables ! :)

9. donna 22 June 2010 at 11:03 am #

Kevin — it all depends on what you have planted:) On a more realistic note, it appears that our route is taking us to the far north U.S. as I want to spend some time communing with the wolves on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

10. Carl 25 April 2011 at 12:03 pm #

Hope your having as much fun as you planned!

11. durry 27 May 2011 at 6:11 pm #

We did! We’re home now and planning our next trips. Sorry we haven’t posted in awhile but that should change now that summer is nigh.