I’m really kind of embarrassed

Okay – we are going to a Michigan Fish Fry.   A little background and I say “little” because I know very little about what we might encounter.

When we first lived in Michigan 30 years ago, “white fish” was on the list of things to avoid.  I think it was something about mercury or fertilizer, but I don’t really remember.  I do remember that because I was pregnant, I  wasn’t supposed to eat anything that came out of the lake.

Back then we had to go out of our way to avoid the fish.  Friday nights in Michigan seems to include a “fish fry” in just about every restaurant or public place–granges, churches, Moose halls…all had fish fries.  We never went.   But this time around we are trying to partake in and enjoy  the local cuisines

We’re on a tiny peninsula jutting out of the U.P. into Lake Michigan.    We’re in Fayette Historic State Park in the ghost town of an iron smelting operation of the 1880’s.  We’ve spent two days wandering the ghost town and we’ve felt kind of “stuck” here.  We reserved the campsite for two nights, not really knowing that there wouldn’t be two days of activities to amuse us.   We wandered out of the park this morning for a long walk – to “waste” some time.  On the way we passed “Sherry’s Port Bar” — tonight featuring an all-u-can-eat whitefish “fry”.

Oh boy…..we had a plan for the evening!   From the outside, the restaurant looks a little scary…but the funky old-school bar intrigued us.    The plan is to go to the bar first for perhaps an old school Seven and Seven (thirty years ago in Michigan this was a friend’s favorite drink)…..and then we’ll dive into dinner.  I know that Durry is going for the white fish and salad bar ($11.95)….we’ll see what I’ll have when we get there.  I do have a choice of the perch, or walleye, chicken or burger.

We’re back from our meal.

“How youse doing?  Do youse want anything else?  Youse doing okay?”

That was our waitress throughout the meal. You gotta love the various accents and colloquialisms  we are finding around the country.  She certainly came from the U.P.

As predicted, our evening out started with a walk to Sherry’s Port Bar and Restaurant, and a sit down at the bar.

I ordered a 7 and 7….our server asked if it was okay if my drink was 7(Seagram’s Seven) and Sierra Mist.  Fine.  I had two.    Durry had as “local” brew…a Labatts, which I guess comes from Canada.

White Fish for Durry… deep-fried shrimp for me.  Our dinners included the salad bar.   Not many fresh choices.

Then our meals….fish, potatoes, and canned pork and beans.

We’re had our fish fry, and Durry had a second helping.  We’re full, and the walk back to the campground has not alleviated any of the fullness.

We move on to Wisconsin.  What might they offer in the way of local delicacies?

14 Responses to “I’m really kind of embarrassed”
  1. Max Kirkland, Jr. 8 August 2010 at 6:44 am #

What an eloquent writer and photographer you are. I really enjoyed reading your blog, and will continue to do so. Thank you for sharing part of your life with me again. You and Durry look fantastic.

2. kpw 8 August 2010 at 7:01 am #

Oh my ! I’m hungry

3. Jen 8 August 2010 at 10:04 am #

The fish fry thing is a Wisconsin tradition that trickled into Michigan, per what I’ve heard (from Wisconsinites). Make sure you find some fresh cheese curds somewhere, as well as the deep-fried version :)

4. Max 8 August 2010 at 11:12 am #

Sweet potato fries, yummy. Beans?

5. donna 8 August 2010 at 1:07 pm #

Ha! We’ve have already had the deep-dried cheese curds, along with a Wisconsin Butter Burger for our lunch. We’re back to tomatoes and corn for dinner.

6. donna 8 August 2010 at 1:08 pm #

Maxine — what’s best about the beans in the picture with the potatoes and the fish is how nice the colors all blend together on the plate:)

7. donna 8 August 2010 at 1:09 pm #

Thanks for reading Max.

8. donna 8 August 2010 at 1:10 pm #

It’s good that you are hungry KP, because they will let you go back for more and more and more:)

9. Gail 9 August 2010 at 7:19 pm #

Just back from north western Wisconsin and you will also find the “Friday Fish Fry” all over the place. If Durry likes beer try the New Glarus Fat Squirrel or Spotted Cow. Also the Leinie’s is really good. If you are in the Chippewa Falls are the Jacob Leininkugels brewery is well worth a visit. We stayed in a fantastic Vacation rental home in Ladysmith and had a family reunion in Cornel. Enjoiy and let me know what you found to do in WI.

10. donna 12 August 2010 at 7:16 am #

Antelope Islands….we didn’t actually get over to the islands, but the view from Bayfield was VERY tempting. It looks like a place to see while in Wisconsin. We camped at Saxon Harbor, WI. on Lake Superior, and then spent a couple nights in Madison. Madison seems to be the Berkeley of the Midwest, and if it hadn’t been so hot and buggy it might have been very nice…………….

11. Martha Haynes 12 August 2010 at 9:52 am #

It sounds like folks are not us “Locally Delicious” as some of us here in Humboldt. Canned beans? Oh, dear! That does not leave me hungry. But white fish? Yum! I have a recipe for white fish salad that I just love and haven’t made in a couple of years. Thanks for the reminder.

12. Edith 13 August 2010 at 12:29 pm #

What fun catching up with you way out there in Michigan, enjoying the sights, the youse” accents, and local cuisine. Glad the fishing industry is alive and well. The halibut are really going strong here, thankfully, since the salmon are scarcer than hen’s teeth! Always looking forward to your adventures :-)

13. donna 13 August 2010 at 2:44 pm #

So happy that your frozen fish locker is filling up…but wait, is it? Have you and Dick gotten out to fish?

14. Max 15 August 2010 at 8:41 am #

I’d like to sit you down in an empty room with just a light bulb overhead and quiz you about your trip. We had a magnificent display of lightning over the Alps, thought of you. Am reading a good book, “Cutting for Stone”. It’s about life in Adis Ababa…