Vermont

Today we did nothing.  Well…almost nothing.  We did laundry, which we hadn’t done in some time and rearranged the underneath storage on the trailer.  But the rest of the day, we sat around and watched fall come to southern Vermont.

This campground…Greenwood…just outside Bennington is just off the Appalachian Trail and is perhaps the best campground of the trip.  Quiet, well maintained and run by an interesting family, it’s just the place to spend an extra day recharging and completing those tasks you’ve put off till later…this is later.

Yesterday we took a circle tour of the lower half of Vermont.  A great breakfast at Dot’s in Wilmington (I had the Berry-berry pancakes which had straw, blue, black and rasp for berries…Donna had a fruit parfait that including huckle)

followed by a few hours driving through drop-dead gorgeous countryside that took us to Calvin Coolidge’s birthplace.

Today one of the places we visited while the dryer was working was the Old Church (founded 1805) and the graveyard attached which holds the final resting place of Robert Frost.

What made me wish I had Yankee roots, the tombstones include maiden names of wives and a brief history of those interred.  This has to be one of the great graveyards of the world.

Tomorrow we start south for New York and Long Island.

11 Responses to “Vermont”
  1. Martha Haynes 1 September 2010 at 6:21 am #

It is September first. You have been on the road for two months. I’m curious – how that has been, to be on the move, not to be home.

2. donna 1 September 2010 at 4:00 pm #

Actually, Martha, I feel a little guilty about not missing the house. I have awaken in the middle of the night realizing that it is sitting there all by its lonesome. Since the trailer is what we come back to at the end of the day, this is now “home”……and so far, it has really been very nice. It’s not a carefree lifestyle, and there are times I feel very lonely, but the internet has kept me nice and in-touch with family and friends.

3. Martha Haynes 2 September 2010 at 5:53 am #

I understand the lonely and thank goodness for technology these days. All of the time you took to shop around for the right trailer sounds like it has paid off, hasn’t it, if you are that comfortable in your space. How are you liking Long Island? Do you plan a day to take either of the ferries over to Connecticut? If you take the one over to Bridgeport you will be in the area of CT where I lived for over 30 years. Take the Orient Point Ferry and you could visit the casino – something “wood”. I’ve heard it is over the top and Blue Lake or any of our other local casinos pale by comparison.

4. Edith 7 September 2010 at 9:58 am #

What beautiful country that is, and you’ve been through some of the same area that we visited a few years back on our Fall Foliage tour. We were there at the perfect peak time in early October, so hopefully you’ll be seeing the gorgeous color changes as you move along.
    I sure miss you, looking forward to you returning to your “lonely” house, friends and family. I’ll be helping Maggie hang quilts for the Botanical Gardens Festival on the 11th, coming up soon. I’ll have the camera handy and will send you some of the best. In particular
    our pottery quilt! Gerry and Diane are planning to go down to P.I. show in October…so happy that ours was accepted :-)
    Happy trails!

5. donna 8 September 2010 at 4:59 am #

I wish we would be seeing the colors change as we move south……but the fall colors of Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia will be nothing like what Vermont’s will be like. EVERYTHING about Vermont was picture postcard perfect…..! Here we are a little further south in New York and there isn’t a hint of any color change.
    One of these days soon I will HAVE to do a blog post….I’ve gotten lazy with my words:) But today, I have to get to Costco for a new camera. The camera strap string broke yesterday…..and the drop on cement didn’t make my camera happy. Argh.

6. Jan 15 September 2010 at 5:22 pm #

Don’t quit posting! I miss hearing about your adventures!

7. Laura 15 September 2010 at 5:34 pm #

Ditto to Jan’s comment!

8. donna 16 September 2010 at 7:12 am #

There doesn’t seem to be enough hours in the day to write the words….but I do take lots of pictures and post them on Flickr….so you can “see” what we are doing:) We’ve been taking the Long Island Railroad into the city most days and by the time we get home it’s 9pm and I, for one, am exhausted. Durry has gone into the city alone today to do some more genealogy stuff, so maybe I will have time…..

9. donna 16 September 2010 at 7:13 am #

Laura — until we have more time to sit done and actually write the words, you will have to be content to view this other world in pictures over on Flickr:) We’ll be out of NYC soon, so there will be more hours in our day.

10. Mel 22 September 2010 at 7:27 am #

Loving looking at Flickr, but would love to read some witty postings from you & my brother…

11. donna 22 September 2010 at 3:39 pm #

Mel: “fuhgeddaboudit” This is what is one the official sign as you leave Brooklyn…and I can never get my camera out soon enough to snap the picture. Witty? I’m not feeling witty. I woke up this morning thinking that perhaps all these posts sound like lame Christmas letters. We’ll get back to the words soon, promise.